Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Toxic People

You know we all have them in our lives. Those people that just seem to suck the life out of you and you are left wondering...how did that just happen?? One of my New Year's resolutions is to remove the toxic people in my life. Part of this 'quarter life crisis' is finding out who I am as an individual. That may mean growing out of friends, relationships, etc and becoming my own person. Seeing as I went to school in state (go rams), and once I graduated I returned to Denver, I have basically stayed in touch with most of my college friends. I love them all dearly but lately I think we are all feeling the strain of the 'real' world per say. With friends getting into long term serious relationships, engaged, married, babies, etc. Sometimes I think it is hard to remember what you had in common back in college. Are you picking up what I'm throwing down?? I will forever and always cherish the memories we all created together and they will always have a special place in my heart. However, as time goes on and each of us come into our own I don't think it is a bad thing to not have contact with them every day or go out for margaritas EVERY Friday afternoon. I just don't think that is in the cards for me right now. I know that as a human being we crave the attention of others but as I grow up a little bit I am realizing that it is a good thing to have some alone time. Some time to reflect on who you are as a person and what you want out of your day to day life. I don't want to be petty and worry about what so and so said to so and so. I just don't want to be involved. At the end of the day as selfish as this sounds, YOU are the most important thing. YOU need to take time out of your daily schedule and do things that YOU want to do and not do it because someone else asked you to. Obviously as we all grow up this priority of yourself will change so why not take the time to figure it out now. Be a little bit selfish and occasionaly do things just because you want to do it! My dad was constantly telling my mom, 'don't sweat the small stuff honey'. I know this is not that deep by any means but there is a heck of a lot to learn from those six words. Take things for face value and enjoy the time you do have with your friends, make it quality time, not quantity time. Just a little something to think about on this somewhat rocky journey. So next time you are in your jams at 9:00 on Saturday night and a friend texts you to go out...think twice about why you are really obliging to that cocktail filled evening. Do you want to do it? Or are you just feeling a bit guilty?? Think about the toxic individuals in your life and try to gracefully move away from it, I promise it will feel much better at the end of the day.

Whew what a post...Happy Tuesday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I liked this Linds. It's nice to read some good old fashioned venting and better yet, to relate to much of it :)

    ReplyDelete